**See updated special rule about same rail safe 4/2/12. I was improperly stating the rule.**
- Races in the first 2 rounds (challenger rounds) are first to 15 racks.
- Races in the double elimination main draw (32 players) are first to 17 racks.
- Race in the winner’s bracket final is first to 20 racks.
- Race in the loser’s bracket final is first to 20 racks.
- Race in the world championship final is first to 25 racks.
- The champion of the world championship final is the tournament champion. There will be no additional race if the loser’s bracket champion prevails in the world championship final.
- Table for use is Hard Times
- Table difficulty is Championship
- Shot clock is Disabled
However, if a player is intentionally stalling, see the rules on player abuse.
- In general, the rules for shots are exactly as enforced automatically for the computer
- Combinations on any ball at any time are legal
- Jump shots are legal
- 3 consecutive fouls is loss of game
- Intentional fouls are legal
- SPECIAL RULE: On safety play, you may play safety on the same rail 4 times in a row (total). This basically only comes into play when the ball is close to a rail and you double kiss the cue ball back to leave a similar shot for your opponent. In this case, you can only do it 2 times each (e.g. Player 1 kiss safe, Player 2 kiss safe, Player 1 kiss safe, Player 2 kiss safe, Player 1 must attempt a bank/kick/cut or safety by driving the object ball to another rail or having the cue ball touch another rail). Failure to adhere to this will result in ball in hand for the opponent (intentionally scratch to enforce).
- If a player has a mouse fart, e.g. their mouse accidently nudged a ball when they did not intend to hit a ball soft, the opponent may choose to pass the turn back to the original player to re-take the shot. However, this is an optional (but highly encouraged) courtesy. The opponent may also choose to take ball in-hand.
- Lowest GSA rated player breaks first. In the event of exactly even GSA rating, the first break is determined by the game itself (random).
- The tournament is ALTERNATE BREAK.
To keep track of who should break first, simply use the EVEN/ODD method. The lower rated player at match start breaks on racks when the total score between players is even, and the higher rated player at match start breaks on racks when the total score between players is odd.
If a player inadvertently breaks out of turn, simply continue play. However, the opponent will then get 2 breaks in a row to make up for the missed break.
If a player inadvertently breaks out of turn while they are on the hill (one rack left for victory), then they forfeit that rack.
- Any break where the 1 is struck first, there is no scratch, and 4 balls hit rails is legal. This rule is automatically enforced by VP3.
- Breaks in which the 9-ball is made in any pocket (golden breaks) count.
- Abuse of players will not be tolerated.
- The tournament director (interchangex) has absolute discretion over what classifies as abuse.
- The backup tournament director (Florida_Bill) may take action against player abuse, but the tournament director (interchangex) may supersede his actions.
- If a player is bugging you, politely inform them of such. If they go overboard, take a screen capture and send it to the tournament directors.